So, it's day 3 of the 'beast from the east' and whether it's the cabin fever or the extreme effort of building an igloo today, the craving for something sweet has set in! But guess what, like most of us that haven't been able to get to the shops in a few days, I was out of supplies. My husband kindly reminded me I used to bake, like a LOT! I have been trying to heal my tummy (I have leaky gut, ugh!) for the past few months so the sweet stuff hasn't been happening in our house. I decided to make an exception, as these are exceptional times! Thanks to the 'beast from the east', I cracked open the food processor and inspired by the weather made some coconut chocolate snowballs! YUM!!
These goodies are probably as healthy a treat as you'll get, to me they are the tastier bounty bar. Plant based and free from refined sugar with all the goodness and antioxidants of cacao powder, coconut oil and shredded coconut...and yes, I promise they taste sooo good!
200g shredded coconut
160ml can coconut cream
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cacao powder
- In a food processor combine the coconut, maple syrup and coconut cream. Blend until smooth (ish)
- Roll into small balls and place on a plate.
- Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Melt coconut oil.
- Combine the coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract and stir well.
- Fold in the cacao powder and stir gently.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Dip your coconut balls in the chocolate sauce and allow cool if you can! The good news is this sauce cools and hardens fairly instantaneously. So if you like a really thick layer of choc, why not layer it up! For the kiddies, I just dip the top of the coconut ball in the chocolate sauce.
Now get back to having fun with your loves in the snow!