These are such a good plant-based burger! They really hold together too and are perfect in or out of a bun.
Layer these burgers up on a bun with your toppings of choice. Some I like are fresh juicy tomatoes, gherkins, slaw & a nice plant-based cheese or just serve alongside a yummy salad and chips.
I use oyster mushrooms usually as they have a meaty texture and hold together really well. I have made them with other mushrooms too but find they release more juice so do strain them and add additional flour accordingly.
Ingredients (Makes 6/7)
- 250g Oyster Mushrooms
- 2 X 400g tins of black beans
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 large onion chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 teaspoon
- 3 tbsp yeast flakes
- 2 tbsp spelt flour
- Dash of tamari
- Saute the onion and garlic over a medium heat until the onion is soft and transparent.
- Chop the mushrooms up roughly and add to the pan.
- Add turmeric and other spice of choice if desired. Sometimes I add other spices like paprika, mixed herbs or chilli depending on the mood.
- Fry on a medium high heat for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the rinsed black beans and yeast flakes.
- Using a potato masher mix the mixture really well. Ut should start to look tacky.
- Stir in flour.
- Form into patties.
- Fry on the pan for 5 minutes each side or until crispy on the outside.
- Serve and devour!